Monday, January 07, 2008

The Grinch That Stole Christmas

There is a Grinch in my life. It is my kitchen renovation project. This is a simple home improvement that would take a normal couple a week or so. For us, it has drug out for over a year. We just aren't home to complete the work. I have completed portions on my own; he has tried to be here, but it just isn't happening. I still have the toilet from the little powder room sitting in the middle of my dining room. I still have all the stuff from the kitchen piled on my dining room table. I still have dust tarps taped up over doorways, and crud everywhere. I didn't decorate for the holidays, host any parties, or even really cook. It felt as is if Christmas didn't happen. The Grinch Stole Christmas at my house.

Throughout all of this, I have occasionally pushed aside the dust and power tools and cooked a real meal, but mostly we have eaten junk. My quick and easy recipes from my beginner cooking days have resurfaced. Convenience foods rule. Of course, Ramen Noodles have a staring role and are purchased by the case at Sam's Club.

Many years ago, a good friend shared with me the idea of combining the prep method of boxed mac and cheese with the ingredients of Ramen. Creamy Ramen was born. It can be a meal on its own, a snack, a side dish, or dress it up with chunks of meat or veggies. Ramen was made for kitchen disaster times. The Grinch might have stolen Christmas, but I still have Creamy Ramen On My Plate.

Creamy Ramen
1 (3 ounce) package Ramen noodles, any flavor, with seasoning packet
2 cups water
2 tablespoons butter
¼ cup milk

Bring water to boil in a small sauce pan.
Add dried noodles and cook 3 minutes, or until noodles are tender. Stir occasionally.
Drain away water. Return noodles to sauce pan.
Add butter, milk and contents of seasoning packet.
If your tastes desire, you may not use all of the seasoning packet.
Heat on low heat and stir until butter is melted and noodles are coated with creamy sauce. (Serves 2)

2 comments:

  1. My sons love ramen noodles. One time when he had to fix a backpacking meal for scouts, he had dry milk and dried vegetables to ramen noodles to make it more hearty. I came across this recipe in the Argus and he requests his noodles done this way since.

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  2. add a slice of cheese to it very good

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails