Friday, November 12, 2010

Fridge Friday: Episode 11

Is it Friday? Yes, by golly, it is. Maybe it is time to roll out another Fridge Friday post. It seems my last contribution to this feature was back in August, but I am not going to apologize for the neglect. I have a life that I live. I love blogging, but it doesn't always fit in that life. 

But, sometimes, like today, it fits. It might be late in the evening, but I have some time and some energy and throwing a few more photos and a recipe up on the blog seems like the thing to do. So...check out my fridge...


What do you see? Brussels sprouts, spinach, eggplant, bacon, yogurt, butter, milk, wine, pickles, peppers, Pumpkin Spice creamer? Can you tell that there are green beans in the bottom right produce drawer?


This fall has been unseasonably warm with temperatures in the 70s and 80s, but the recent dip back to the more normal 40s has me craving soups. One of the soups that I have made basically since I was first married is a Potato, Bacon, and Green Bean Chowder. Forgive me, for does include a can of creamed soup. I have considered altering the recipe to eliminate what is a culinary no-no for some, but why? I don't cook with cream soups often. A can now and then isn't going to be the death of me (or anyone). Most importantly, it tastes good. Really. The soup is rich, hearty, and comforting. It is the perfect thing to warm up a damp, cold, November Friday.

(And, if you really miss me when I don't make it to the blog, become a fan of On My Plate on Facebook. Just "like" the page and you can have (almost) daily little bits of my babbling in your news feed.)



10 slices bacon, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cups potatoes, cubed (I use baby reds and leave the skins on.)
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped

In a large dutch oven or stock pot, fry bacon until crisp.
Add onion and saute until translucent.
Pour off fat (sometimes, I don't do this...yes I KNOW how bad for me that is, but there is so much FLAVOR in bacon fat.)
Add potatoes and water.
Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the green beans and simmer for about 5 more minutes until the beans are tender-crisp and the potatoes are fork tender.
Stir in soup and sour cream. (I once used French Onion chip dip when I didn't have sour cream...divine, if slightly scary substitution.)
Gradually add the milk. (If you poured off the bacon fat, you might consider subbing cream for a portion of the milk...or not.)
Season with pepper (and salt, if you feel the need. I think the canned soup has enough salt.)
Add parsley.
Heat to serving temperature.
Do no boil. (Serves 6)

2 comments:

  1. You found the pumpkin spice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did find Pumpkin Spice creamer (and even noticed a powdered version at the grocery in Yankton yesterday). I also picked up Vanilla Spiced Rum from International Delight. Haven't tried it yet, but hope it is good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails