Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Back to Business

Hey! How I have missed you all!

More and more people are making a point of telling me how much they miss the little peeks into my personal insanity and what is On My Plate. I feel as if I have really let you all down during my unplanned hiatus. This entry could detail all that has transpired, but for now, I will just say that since my last post in October, I have experience sickness and health, life and death, chaos and calm, and bouts of cooking madness countered with frozen pizzas thrown into an oven that wasn't even preheated. Life has run the gamut for me and will probably never be the same, but it is time for me to find some balance and get back into the swing of things that are important to me...and in case you hadn't figured it out by now, food ranks pretty highly in my list of important things. Sharing it through this blog has been a surprisingly fun and enriching experience. I miss this and want it back. It is time for me to get my brain back in gear and to get back to business.

If I want my brain to pull itself from the squalor that kept me from babbling here, I need to feed it well. Salmon is a perfect brain food. High in Omega-3 and low in saturated fat, it is a smart protein choice that will only make you smarter.

I feel especially smart when I whip up Spiced Glazed Salmon. It is as simple as mixing a few simple pantry ingredients, rubbing the salmon, and roasting. That allows for a great meal and time to deal with all of the other craziness that occurs in our (my?) lives. It is easy to get Back to Business with Spiced Glazed Salmon On My Plate.


Spiced Glazed Salmon

2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground ancho chile powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon melted butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine the paprika, chili powder, ancho, cumin, garlic powder, and brown sugar.
Place salmon on lightly sprayed sheet pan. (I cover mine with foil or parchment for easier clean up.)
Sprinkle the salmon with salt, then rub with spice mixture.
Combine melted butter and maple syrup; drizzle each fillet with the mixture.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until salmon flakes with a fork.
(Can garnish with chopped green onions, if desired.) Serves 4.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Welcome back and thankyou! Next time I cook salmon, this is it :) -- @miss_om

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like to do fish at least once a week, and it rotates between salmon and tilapia. My husband usually grills the salmon, but I love the idea of roasting it in the oven so that I can actually cook it once in a while (he won't let me touch his grill). Plus, your recipe sounds fantastic. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Best,
    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I'd love some of this on MY plate. We're big salmon eaters and I'm always on the lookout for new ways to season it.

    I don't have the ancho chili....I might have chipotle. Think that would work out okay?

    Btw, Welcome back!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the welcome back. It feels good to be posting again.

    Ingrid, I think that chipotle could be subbed, but might have more heat than the ancho. I suggest adding it to taste and adjusting the measurement to suit your desired heat level. I honestly don't measure the spices any longer and just eyeball into the bowl as I mix. Sometimes my salmon is a little bit spicier than others, but it is always good. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails