Monday, May 17, 2010

Spy Capers

Are spy capers just for kids? Should you chortle uncontrollably at a silly story in a restaurant full of people? What is the cut-off age to want to wear a purple wig? Is there such a thing as being too old to have crazy fun? I don't know the proper answer to any of these questions, and I honestly don't care. I am up for all good capers.

I am willing to crawl the streets at night looking for a certain address for no reason other than that I can. I always carry Wisps in my handbag, just in case. I believe in investigative driving. I like to laugh until my sides hurt. I am not afraid to snap silly photos to document my foolish fun. And, I am fully aware that 99.9% of you have no idea what any of that means. Which is good. That means my spy capers were successfully spy-ish. 

I will divvy out all the details of another caper, though. The capers in Scallop Piccata with Wilted Spinach (adapted from Cooking Light) are too good not to share. Nothing silly, foolish, or crazy about this. The salty, little buds of the capers dot this dish with tremendous flavor. Lemon makes it bright. Wilted spinach is vividly fresh (or is that an oxymoron?). And the whole meal comes together so quickly that I can't resist experiencing a caper of Scallop Piccata with Wilted Spinach On My Plate.


Scallop Piccata with Wilted Spinach
12 sea scallops
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
5 teaspoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter
4 teaspoons capers
1 bag fresh baby spinach
1 pound dry angel hair pasta


Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. 
Pat scallops dry with paper towels. Sprinkle salt and freshly ground pepper over scallops. 
Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. 
Add scallops; cook 2 minutes on each side or until seared. 
Remove from pan; keep warm.
Reduce heat to medium. Add chopped garlic to pan; cook 10 seconds. 
Add wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. 
Remove from heat. Add parsley, fresh lemon juice, butter, and capers, stirring until butter melts. 
Pour sauce in a bowl.
Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. 
Add spinach; sauté 30 seconds or until spinach wilts. 
To serve, arrange pasta on plate; top with spinach and scallops; drizzle with sauce. (Serves 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails