Monday, February 20, 2012

The Things You Didn't Do - NYC, volume 4

As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do.~Zachary Scott

Our time in New York City was so very limited. There were countless things that we didn't have time to do. I didn't get to visit the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Time Warner Center, Magnolia Bakery, the Museum of Modern Art, Chelsea Market, the Brooklyn Bridge, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Chinatown, Tiffany's, the Museum of Natural History, and...oh goodness. I could go on and on with all the things I didn't get to do. However, you know what really makes me a sad panda? I didn't get a slice.

Pizza. I didn't get a slice of pizza. I guess I have to go back.

In the meantime, I will have to make my own. Brussels Sprouts and Salami Pizza is a new-to-us combination that has quickly become a favorite. The salty salami pairs really well with earthy Brussels sprouts and literally dances in a lemon garlic dressing instead of a traditional pizza sauce. Yum. I guess this will tide me over until I go back to NYC for a slice.

(Adapted from Real Simple)

1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed really is better)
2 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
pizza dough, ready-made or your favorite recipe
1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced (I use a mandolin.)
2 ounces thinly sliced hard salami, sliced into ribbons
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2-4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 450F.
Using a Microplane, grate the garlic into a medium bowl.
Add the lemon juice and olive oil and whisk together.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
With a pastry brush, lightly coat the prepared pizza dough.
Into the remaining dressing, add the thinly sliced Brussels sprouts and ribbons of salami.
Toss lightly to coat with the dressing. (BTW...this is a surprisingly good salad, as well.)
Arrange on the pizza crust.
Top with the cheeses.
Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until golden and bubbly. (Serves 4)

1 comment:

  1. I love crazy pizza combinations. That's one I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks, lady!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails