Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Heat Wave

After temperatures that dipped well below zero with wind chills that were even colder, we are now seeing the thermometers soar up into the 30s. It feels downright balmy outdoors. Add a little sunshine and I feel as if we should be looking for tulips pushing up through the snow drifts. But, alas. It isn't spring, yet. We still have a few months of dancing with Old Man Winter before the grass begins to green. 

That doesn't mean that I can't bake up a dessert that seems almost summer-ish in order to celebrate the beautiful days. (Oh hush. I know that I.Am.Not.A.Baker.) I had shredded some of the abundance of zucchini from my garden this summer and froze in 2 and 3 cup packages. It is so easy to defrost and toss into a Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Cake. The blog where I found this recipe suggested peeling the zucchini to hide the vegetable from unsuspecting eyes. I don't. I heart the green flecks combining with the bursts of juicy blueberries. Color and texture make this cake as beautiful to look at as it is to eat. Yum. I can wait a little bit for spring, if Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Cake is On My Plate.



1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon lemon extract
3 cups zucchini, shredded
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
zest of 1 lemon
2 cups blueberries
Icing:
3 tablespoons butter, softened
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
dash salt
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 325.
Cream together sugar, eggs, oil, and lemon extract.
Stir in the zucchini.
Gradually add dry ingredients and stir to combine.
Add lemon zest.
Fold in the blueberries gently.
Pour into a well greased and floured Bundt cake pan. (Am I the only one that HATES to wash bundt pans?)
Bake for about 65-70 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean.
Allow to sit in pan for 5-10 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack.
Cool completely and frost with lemon cream cheese frosting.
Icing:
Beat butter and cream cheese till smooth.
Add powdered sugar, salt, zest, and enough lemon juice to make a spreadable consistency.
Pour over cooled cake and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I wish I could get my hands on some blueberries this looks fabulous my favorite combinations. Can't wait for those summer goodies. I hope I get enough blueberries to put up this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should make the trip to California, it was 70* today! I love this cake! I feel like a nice zucchini cake is healthier, so that means I can eat 2 pieces right?! lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails