Monday, May 24, 2010

Berry Ironic

I don't think that I know anyone in our local area that actually serves Strawberry Shortcake with real shortcake. Instead of the sweet biscuit-like base for our strawberries and cream, we usually swap out angel food cake, pound cake, sponge cake, and even just plain white cake. In fact, I don't know that I have ever had a true Strawberry Shortcake. 

That is why it is berry (I know, bad pun. Sorry.) ironic that my first foray into the realm of combining biscuits and strawberries would be with a cookie, and not a cake at all. One of my father-in-law's favorite desserts is the cake version of Strawberry Shortcake. With just a few ripe, red berries floating around in my fridge, I decided to try a Martha Stewart recipe for Strawberry Shortcake Cookies as a treat for him. They are tender and flaky, just as a baking powder biscuit would be be, with dots of fresh strawberry strewn within. A dusting of sugar adds just the right sweetness for the cookies. I don't mind a little berry irony as long as I have Strawberry Shortcake Cookies On My Plate.


Strawberry Shortcake Cookies

2 cups strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup heavy cream
sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons sugar. 
Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 7 tablespoons granulated sugar in a large bowl. 
Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, or rub in with your fingers, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 
Stir in cream until dough starts to come together (I needed a couple tablespoons more cream to form a dough.), then stir in strawberry mixture. 
Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing evenly apart. (I used fresh parchment for each batch, as the sugar caramelized a bit and wanted to burn around the cookies.)
Sprinkle with additional sugar, and bake until golden brown, 24 to 25 minutes. (Mine were done in 20-22 minutes...watch the bottoms the sugar burns easily.)
Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool. 
Cookies are best served immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day. (I KNOW! A cookie recipe that says you have to eat them all in one day! Awesome sauce!) (About 3 dozen cookies)

2 comments:

  1. This is such a cool recipe! I never knew you could make a cookie with the strawberry shortcake! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails