Saturday, October 13, 2007

A Change Will Do You Good

I can't believe that it has been almost 2 months since my last blog post. By now, you must have given up on me. I apologize. Things happened. I didn't seem to have any time to agonize, philosophize, obsess about, or even enjoy what was On My Plate. But now, I have made some life changes, and hope to bring back my bad food puns and good recipes. My changes have been minor, but I really do believe that they will do me good. It was all more difficult in my own mind than what reality had actually thrown at me.

As for what has been On My Plate, I can tell you that my kitchen has been lonely. When Hubby and I weren't speed dialing for take-out, frozen pizza, blue box mac and cheese, and other convenience foods ruled. When I did venture away from ready to eat meals, I didn't put forth a lot of effort. Anything that didn't require thought, exertion, or a recipe landed On My Plate. I was a slug.

It is time to shake that poor menu plan and the crutch of convenience foods. It is time to make a change On My Plate for the better. I wouldn't want to shock my system, though. It has become accustomed to junk. I need to ease myself back into a healthier diet. I think that just a minor change can make a big difference in moving into a good direction with my food choices. I will start by changing out the ground beef of my burgers for the lower fat alternative of ground turkey. I can still savour a juicy and flavorful burger, and it isn't even really much more effort than dialing for a greasy cheeseburger from the bar.


Fajita Turkey Burgers
¼ cup tomatillo salsa
1 avocado, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
2 slices white bread
½ cup onions, finely chopped
½ cup red and green peppers, finely chopped
2 teaspoons fajita seasoning mix, divided
¼ teaspoon salt, divided
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 pound ground turkey
1 egg white
4 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted


Combine the tomatillo salsa, avocado, and cilantro in a small bowl; set aside.
Place bread slices in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 cup.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat and spray with nonstick spray.
Add onion and bell peppers; saute for 5 min or until tender.
Stir in 1/2 tsp fajita seasoning and 1/8 tsp salt. Cool.
Combine breadcrumbs, onion mixture, remaining 1 1/2 tsp fajita seasoning, remaining 1/8 tsp salt, tomato paste, turkey, and egg white in a large bowl.
Using damp hands, divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 3/4-inch thick patty.
Heat pan over medium heat and recoat with nonstick spray.
Add patties and cook for 4 min on each side or until done.
Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun, top with 1 1/2 Tbs of the salsa mixture and top half of the bun.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails