Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Little Bird Told Me

I am fast becoming a devoted fan of Twitter. Several times a day, I use 140 characters (or less) to share what is on my mind. Millions of others do the same, and the real-time, interactive access to opinions, ideas, information, and just idle chit-chat is addictive.

As my number of daily tweets grows, it is no surprise that I would turn to this social media network when searching for a recipe. Sure, I surfed through my bookmarked recipe sites and mentioned my dilemma to some close friends, but it was a Twitter tweet that ultimately brought me to the salad that I prepared to share with friends over their home-cooked prime rib dinner on Valentine's evening.

My request for "Simple, light, WW friendly salad idea to be served with a Prime Rib dinner tonight?" was met with a reply from someone that shares my interest in food, vintage pottery, older homes, and American Idol. People with like interests do commune together, and Twitter exemplifies that. The suggestion of a Cooking Light recipe for Field Greens with Warm Soy Dressing easily modified to suit the ingredients I had on hand, and really was a perfect pairing with our meal. I am so glad to have a little bird helping me put good food On My Plate.


Field Greens with Warm Soy Dressing

2 (5-ounce) bags mixed salad greens (about 16 cups)
1 cup red bell pepper strips
1 cup diagonally sliced snow peas
1/3 cup diagonally sliced green onions
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
4 tablespoons apple juice
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced

Combine first 5 ingredients in a salad bowl.
Combine soy sauce and remaining ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave at HIGH 30-90 seconds (depending on microwave), and stir well. (Dressing should be warm, but not boiling.)
Pour dressing over salad, tossing gently to coat. (Serves 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails