Friday, May 13, 2011

Fridge Friday: Episode 19


Is anyone else freezing to death? Seriously. It is May 13th (Friday the 13th for those superstitious ones), and the temp is hovering in the mid-40s? Brrrr. I guess, looking on the bright side, these gray, cool, rainy days make great soup weather. I do love me some soup. 

The other day, Hubs and I grabbed some sweet corn at an area SuperCenter even though it just seems too early for good fresh corn. (Bottom right crisper drawer.) Honestly, maybe it it is just my winter palate craving something fresh, but it wasn't bad...not fresh from the field Peaches & Cream Sweet Corn, but it was reasonably good. It is perfect in a supposedly "summer recipe" pulled from Cooking Light. The sweet crispness of the corn balances well with the warm heat of the green chiles (I used some roasted from last year's garden which also had a few red chiles in the mix.) and the smokiness of diced ham. The original recipe called for navy beans, but I had a couple of cans of purple hull peas lurking in the pantry and used those instead. Toast up a cheese quesadilla on the side, and Corn and Bean Soup is a great way to warm up On My Plate.


(adapted from Cooking Light)

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup onions, chopped
3/4 cup dice cooked ham 
3 cups fresh corn kernels 
2 (15-ounce) cans purple hull peas, rinsed and drained
2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
2 (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, undrained (I used 2 frozen cubes of my the green chiles from my garden that had been roasted and diced.)

Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
Add onions and cook until translucent, stirring frequently.
Add ham, corn and remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. (Serves 6)

1 comment:

  1. your corn and bean soup looks awesome!! thanks for sharing!!

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails