Sunday, March 03, 2013

You're Only As Old As You Feel


We celebrated my father-in-law's 82nd birthday this weekend. While he has dealt with a few health issues in the recent years, the man is still spry and a go-getter. Knee replacements, chronic ear infections, and cataracts are no match for him. 82 years are no big deal.

Conversely, I am thinking that 42 years are too much for me. I managed to pull a muscle in my neck while whisking powdered sugar into the chocolate icing for the birthday cake. I felt 82 years old...and not the spry go-getting kind of 82.

Honestly, I do have neck and shoulder issues. Almost 20 years ago, I had a little incident where I rolled a stock car during a powder puff race. The whiplash was brutal and resulted in a permanent injury that often makes me stiff and achy. If I don't take care of myself, I pay for it...and I paid for it big time this weekend.

But, it was worth it. The double batch of icing cascaded over the from scratch chocolate layer cake and created puddles of richness. It was a perfect cake for the celebration of 82 years, no matter how old it made me feel.

(adapted from Joy of Cooking)
(double recipe to create your own cascades of chocolate for an 8- or 9-inch round layer cake)

3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar, more or less
2 tablespoons corn syrup

Melt the chocolate and butter together in a heavy pan or double broiler.
Whisk in the cream and vanilla.
Remove from heat and sift the powdered sugar into the chocolate mixture.
Stir to combine.
Add the corn syrup and whisk briskly to create glossy, spreadable icing.

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel. I did something very similar several years ago. (Rolled a car) and I pay for it when I don't take care of myself. However, the cake looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails