Thursday, August 08, 2013

National Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor's Porch Day

So...you all read about my poor, sickly, internet virus infected zucchini in my last post, right? (Go ahead and go back and check it out, if you want. I will still be here.)

Anyway, I was out of town for the day yesterday and when I returned home, I found a surprise on my front porch. Someone celebrated National Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor's Porch Day a little early! I am now in possession of 2 HUGE monster zucchini that will be shredded for all the baking goodness my heart desires and 3 smaller squash that might get made into Zucchini Alfredo to pair with the steaks I plan to grill tonight. Hip Hip Hooray! My zucchini woes are averted, for now. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

BUT...Today (August 8) is actually National Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor's Porch Day. I honestly wouldn't turn down more surprises. Nope. I wouldn't. So...if you are in my neighborhood, feel free to hit up my porch.

And if you aren't, here is a delicious Zucchini Cornbread to whip up and use some of your bounty.
 
(adapted from Bon Appetit)

1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large zucchini (about 10 ounces)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup cornmeal 

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x5x3" loaf pan with cooking spray.
Melt 1/2 cup butter in a small saucepan. Continue cooking until butter solids at bottom of pan turn golden brown, about 3 minutes. Scrape butter into a medium bowl. Set aside and let cool. Whisk in eggs and buttermilk.
Trim zucchini ends. Thinly slice five 1/8" rounds from 1 end of zucchini and reserve for garnish. Coarsely grate remaining zucchini. Add to bowl with butter mixture and stir until well blended.
Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda into a large bowl. Whisk in cornmeal. Add zucchini mixture; fold just to blend (mixture will be very thick). Transfer batter to prepared pan and smooth top. Place reserved zucchini slices atop batter down center in a single layer.
Bake bread until golden and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, 55-65 minutes. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; let cool completely on a wire rack. (Serves 8-10)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails