Thursday, November 05, 2015

Just Spiced.

Back in June, we celebrated National Doughnut Day. Today, November 5, we are told it is time to celebrate again. Two National Doughnut Days in one year? Who am I to argue?

For today's festivities, I made Spiced Cake Doughnuts. Not Pumpkin Spiced. Not Spiced Pumpkin. (There is a difference.) Just SPICED.

Several years ago, I was in enamored with all things pumpkin spiced. (And for the record, "pumpkin spiced" means that the spices used to flavor pumpkin baked goods are used. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, maybe a little ginger. No actual pumpkin is involved. "Spiced Pumpkin" includes the pumpkin, be it roasted, pureed, boiled, mashed, or a combination of any of those, AND the spices. Got it? NO real pumpkin in your pumpkin spice.) Anyway, I loved pumpkin spiced lattes, pumpkin spiced creamer, chocolate, cookies, and cakes. If it was seasoned with the spices of autumn, I was going to try it.

Then, one day, I had had enough. I don't know what happened, but pumpkin spice didn't do it for me anymore. Maybe it was the overkill of absolutely everything in the market place being labeled "pumpkin spice" from Labor Day through Thanksgiving. Maybe it was like the time that I realized that I do prefer butter to margarine. Just part of an evolving palatte. Who knows. I am just over Pumpkin Spice.

Thankfully, I am not over everything nice, as the Spiced Cake Doughnuts I made today are absolutely nice. No pumpkin required.

Happy National Doughnut Day, again.


1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk, plus 2 tablespoons
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 tablespoon canola oil

Cinnamon Sugar for coating the doughnuts.

Preheat the oven to 325F.
Coat the doughnut pan with cooking spray. (I am quite liberal with coating the pan. There is nothing sadder than stuck doughnuts.)
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
Stir in milk, egg, vanilla and oil.
Beat together until well blended.
Pour batter into a zip-topped bag, manipulating batter to one corner of the bag. With the bag over the baking pan, clip one end. (Batter will start running out immediately.) Squeeze the bag to fill each doughnut cup about 3/4 full.
(You can skip the zip-topped bag, and just ladle the batter into the baking pan, but I have found the bag to be a less messy option.)
Bake 8-10 minutes until doughnuts spring back when touched.
While doughnuts are still warm, remove from baking pan and roll in cinnamon sugar (heat will allow the sugar to stick to the doughnut).
Allow to cool on rack, or enjoy will warm. (Yields 6 doughnuts)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails