Monday, June 25, 2007

Chilling Out

We haven't even hit the stride of real summer, yet. Temperatures haven't even reached the 100s. But, already I am looking for ways to cool down. Hubby just adjusts the thermostat on the A/C until my limbs are icicles, but I prefer to chill myself from the inside out. I like something light and refreshing to hopefully savor on the patio, if the sun isn't too unyielding. I don't mind a little extra heat if my soul can be revived with a cold treat.

Last summer, I discovered cold soups. I had heard of them, read about them, but never sampled them until a simple recipe jumped to my attention. I wondered why with our often never ending 100+ temps of July and August, I hadn't tried them before. Cool, refreshing, light, simple; all of those adjectives that are heaven when the sun beats relentlessly down and the air is heavy with humidity are the perfect description for a Chilled Orange and Tomato Soup. I know that a bowl or two of this will be On My Plate again this summer as I attempt to find relief from the heat.

Chilled Orange and Tomato Soup
2 cups orange juice, strained of pulp (fresh is best)
2 cups low-sodium tomato juice (not V-8)
½ cup white wine
juice of ½ large lemon
1 teaspoon sugar
white pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Blend all but parsley together.
Chill for several hours.
Prior to serving, place in blender and whip for several minutes. Soup will be frothy.
Serve with a sprinkle of parsley. (Serves 6)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails