Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Be Thankful

I used to complain about zucchini. I used to sigh exasperatedly when one plant overflowed my crisper drawer with the garden's bounty. I used to whine about shredding the monsters and bagging them for baking all winter long. I used to try to ignore Hubs' rolling eyes when zucchini was, yet again, the side dish for dinner. I happily played along with National Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor's Front Porch Day. I wasn't thankful. 

I wasn't thankful, and it came back to spite me. It seems that my little growing plot has become incapable of nurturing zucchini. In the past, I had great volumes for slicing, shredding, frying, sauteing, baking, grilling, and even preserving, but the last two gardens have left me squashless.

I don't know if it is the soil, a fungus, a bug, or something as simple as my watering plan that is torturing my vines. The cucumber plants are also kind of lifeless and barren. It seems that all the viney garden plant are challenging me. I should have been more thankful.

If you are lucky enough to have some zucchini and even luckier to have some incredible fresh sweet corn, I recommend this soup. Summer isn't traditionally soup weather, but we have had some cool, rainy days recently that really called for a bowl of comfort. Pair this fresh Zucchini Corn Chowder with some corn chips and salsa for a bright flavor contrast to the rich creaminess. And, most of all, always be thankful for your zukes.


(adapted from Cooking Light)

4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 cups chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped celery
2-3 small zucchini, sliced
3 ears fresh sweet corn, divided
2 cups milk, divided
1 cup heavy cream (use all milk, if you want a lighter soup)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
green onions, sliced as garnish

Cut corn from the cobs; reserve the corn from 2 ears.
Cook bacon in a large, heavy pot until crisp.
Remove bacon from pan and set aside, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan.
Add onions and celery to the drippings; cook until onions are translucent.
Add squash to the drippings and saute until tender.
Place corn from 1 ear and 1 cup milk in a blender; process until smooth.
Add pureed mixture and reserved corn and cream to the pan.
Add bacon and thyme; season with salt and pepper.
Cook 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring constantly.
To serve, top each bowl with green onions and cheese. (Serves 4.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails