Sunday, July 08, 2007

Poke It With A Stick

I think that we should all poke fun at ourselves once in awhile. If you can't laugh at yourself, you are truly taking it all too seriously and most likely headed for heartache or disaster. Life is just too short.

I also think that summer is the time to poke our cakes. A Jello Poke Cake is such a sweet, cool, and refreshing way to end any meal...or to start the day for breakfast, if you are my husband. Our recent 4th of July potluck produced two Poke Cakes, and Hubby was in heaven. However, he must not have had his fill. When I offered to bring the dessert for dinner with friends last night, he insisted that I make a Poke Cake, too. I didn't argue. It is an easy dessert for my non-baking ways, and I have to admit that a little harmless poking is fun.


Jello Poke Cake

1 package white cake mix
1 cup boiling water
1 (3 ounce) package Jello, any flavor (strawberry is my favorite)
½ cup cold water
1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed

Heat oven to 350°F.
Prepare and bake cake in 13x9-inch pan as directed on package.
Remove from oven.
Cool cake in pan 15 minutes.
Pierce cake with large fork at 1/2-inch intervals.
Meanwhile, stir boiling water into gelatin in small bowl at least 2 minutes until completely dissolved.
Stir in cold water; carefully pour over cake.
Refrigerate 3 hours.
Frost with whipped topping.
Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve.
Store leftover cake in the refrigerator. (Serves 16)

1 comment:

  1. This is a winner recipe!! Try adding a little dry jello to the Dream Whip frosting. I then garnish with strawberries. We like the Orange Poke Cake best--garnished with mandarin oranges. Experiment with a variety of jello and fruit!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails