Friday, February 18, 2011

This One Goes Out to the Lady In the Booth Behind Me

About a week ago, I was having lunch out of town and overheard...(Yes. I am admitting to being a snoop. I mean, really, while dining alone, what else do you do other than people watch and eavesdrop? I carry a book with me, but seldom really dig into it. The people around me are just too interesting.)...anyway, I overheard the waiter telling the The Lady In the Booth Behind Me that there was a new pie that day. Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie.

My fork dropped back into my Southwestern Grilled Chicken Salad. It had been the lunch feature of the day, and while the chicken was tender and juicy and the cilantro sauce was a bright burst of flavor, the rest of the salad had me thinking that it was a mistake to fall for the waiter's enthusiasm as he suggested it. Yet...that same enthusiasm for a pie was about to grab me and not let go. What can I say? I am a sucker.

The Lady In the Booth Behind Me ordered the pie with two forks to share with her husband. My back was to them, but I listened intently as they yummmed and mmmmmmed and moaned and groaned over the pie. I couldn't see the slice of heaven that was the center of these orgasmic gasps, but I knew that I had to sample this myself. Had to.

The waiter returned and chatted with the couple. The Lady In the Booth Behind Me begged him to ask the chef for the recipe. He politely declined. She flirted and cajoled him. He held his ground. She did everything except throw dollar bills at him. He was firm. And, just as I was about to grab him by the apron and demand my slice of the pie, he FINALLY moved to my table. I think it surprised him when I pushed aside my half-eaten salad and asked for pie. That pie. The Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie that made The Lady In the Booth Behind Me babble and moan and beg. I refrained from demanding that he rush to the kitchen RIGHT NOW when he told me that there might only be one slice left. One slice? It.Must.Be.Mine. Nobody else could have it. Go. Get it. Right now. (Really, I was calm and polite. Really.)

And when that slice of Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie came to my table, it wasn't, at first glance, a beauty. This pudding pie was made up of muddy colors and slumped a little in its homemade graham cracker crust. The whipped topping was a little too stable to be real and the drizzle of chocolate sauce over the top seemed a bit like overkill. It, truthfully, was a pie that I probably would have passed by if I had been peering into the pie case. Sinking my fork into the creamy layers of chocolate and peanut butter puddings divided by a course of bananas, I tentatively took my first bite. Ooooh!!! This is what the yummming and mmmmmming and moaning and groaning was about. What a PERFECT flavor combination! The Lady In the Booth Behind Me was right. This was a slice of heaven.

I knew immediately that I would have to find a way to recreate this pie for my husband. Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie is just his kind of dessert. I think that it could even spur a marriage proposal...if we weren't already married. So, for Valentine's Day, I made my own Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie to share with Hubs after our simple meal of steamed Crab Legs with drawn butter, Spinach Twice Baked Potatoes, and a tossed salad. He yummmed and mmmmmmed and moaned and groaned. I knew he would. His mouth was full, or he might have proposed again, too.

And now, for The Lady In the Booth Behind Me, I am sharing my version of Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie. There is no longer any need to beg and flirt with the waiter. Here is how you can recreate that slice of heaven On YOUR Plate.


Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie
**This recipe makes enough filling for 2 pies or 1 pie and some ramekins of pudding to sample right away. (Guess which one I did?) I would reduce the amounts for you to only create one pie, but honestly, I am not a baker and think it is best for me not to mess with the science of ingredient proportions.

2 graham cracker crusts (use your own favorite recipe or a purchased one...this time, I went with Keebler.)
Banana layer:
2 to 3 bananas, sliced 
1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Peanut butter pudding:
1/2 cup sugar
5 teaspoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup creamy (smooth) peanut butter (I used Jif because that is what I had, but the original recipe calls for NATURAL peanut butter.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate pudding:
6 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (I used Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips, again because that is what I had.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Topping:
1 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon powdered sugar

If making homemade graham cracker crust, prepare according to your recipe.
Slice bananas into a bowl and toss with lemon juice, set aside.
For Peanut butter pudding:
Whisk first 3 ingredients in large saucepan to blend. Gradually whisk in milk, then cream. Whisk over medium heat until mixture comes to boil. Then boil until thick, whisking constantly, about 30 seconds. Whisk in peanut butter; boil until thick again, whisking often, about 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; whisk in vanilla. Divide pudding between 2 graham cracker crusts (or fill ramekins with about 1/3 cup each). Chill uncovered while preparing chocolate pudding.

For chocolate pudding:
Whisk first 4 ingredients in heavy large saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk, then cream. Whisk over medium heat until mixture comes to boil. Boil until thick, whisking constantly, about 30 seconds. Add chopped chocolate. Boil until chocolate melts and pudding is thick again, whisking often, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat; whisk in vanilla. Cool pudding 5 minutes. 

Arrange banana slices in a single layer over the peanut butter pudding layer.
Spoon chocolate pudding over bananas and peanut butter pudding, dividing equally between pie crusts (or layer in the ramekins...about 1/3 cup each). 
Chill pies uncovered until cold, at least 2 hours. (May be made up to 1 day ahead.)
Just before serving prepare topping:
Whisk cream and powdered sugar in medium bowl to soft peaks. 

Dollop each slice of pie generously and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps I should confess now that I've never gotten the adoration with bananas and peanut butter or bananas and chocolate (or Nutella to be exact), but, but, I might have to set my prejudice aside and try making this. In case I still don't love the combo, I know my brother and his family would! It looks so yummy!

    PS I eat alone sometimes and I tap tap on my phone while I am inadvertently eavesdropping. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was searching for pie recipes and I couldn't stop reading this story! I love your style of writing! I really need to make this pie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails