Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Fungus Among Us

An area restaurant sautes bite-sized bits of steak with garlic, arranges them in the wells of an escargot plate, then tops with Fontina cheese and broils until ooey-gooey and melty. They serve this up with hunks of garlic bread as an appetizer. D.E.L.I.S.H. I can (and have) totally made a total pig of myself with this flavorful, cheesy dish.

When I saw a Martha Stewart recipe that topped mushrooms with this earthy Italian cheese, I knew it was for me. I wasn't mistaken.

Initially, I considered adding garlic to the mushrooms, but decided to stick with the simplicity of the original recipe. Seriously, what is easier than slicing mushrooms, topping with cheese, and broiling? Sprigs of thyme add just a hint of lemony brightness to the earthy mushrooms and nutty cheese. Simple.Perfection.

Just looking at the photos again, I want to reach into my computer monitor, grab one of those slices of baguette and dig into those inviting ramekins of warm, savory goodness. Mmmm.

(adapted from Martha Stewart)

2-3 cups cremini and shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced (I do recommend the mix of mushrooms, as the shitake have a richer flavor.)
olive oil
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
fresh thyme sprigs
1 cup shredded Fontina cheese

Heat oven to 450F.
Arrange mushrooms in a single layer in a shallow baking dish (or in multiple ramekins for individual servings).
Drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper.
Bake for 4-5 minute, until mushrooms are starting to soften.
Remove from oven and add cheese.
Strip a few leaves from the thyme and scatter over cheese; add a few whole sprigs on top.
Return to oven about 3-4 more minutes until cheese is melty and bubbly.
Serve warm with baguette for dipping. (Serves 4) 

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails