Saturday, August 28, 2010

NOT Fridge Friday

Yesterday, I missed Fridge Friday. I am going to blame it on the fact that I no longer have a fridge in my kitchen. Yes. That's right. I don't have a fridge...sort of.

I do have a fridge...but, it is in the basement. For the past week, every time I have needed a chilled item, I have had to go out into the back entryway and down some steep, old-house basement stairs...and then back up again with whatever I needed...and then back down again for whatever I forgot...wash, rinse, repeat as necessary.

You see, back in May (or so, I don't exactly remember), the fridge that was originally in the basement died. Everything (cheeses, butter, produce) that I had hoarded stashed there had to be transferred to the upstairs fridge. At that time, it was decided that we wouldn't just purchase another plain, utilitarian, white refrigerator for the basement. We would temporarily get by as a one fridge household, and when extra funds were available, we would invest in the stainless-steel, french-door, freezer-on-the-bottom, ice-and-water in the door baby that I had been dreaming about forever.

My dream came true a month ago...sort of. We purchased an awesome stainless-steel, french-door, freezer-on-the-bottom, ice-and-water in the door GE Profile (to match my GE Profile stainless, gas range...and that purchase is another story entirely). I was in heaven...except the store didn't have any in stock. They were on order. We were promised that within 2 weeks, the beautiful, shiny cold box could be delivered to my home. My Plain Jane fridge was moved from the kitchen to the dungeon basement in anticipation of the delivery of this new purchase. (And my daily stair running workouts began.) Fast forward to today, and I am STILL waiting. The refrigerator was supposed to be transferred to an area sister store for final delivery. However, nobody knows where it is. Nobody can tell me when it will be delivered. Nobody knows how close to going postal this makes me. 

So...I missed Fridge Friday because I don't have a fridge, but I do have zucchini. Oh yes, it is that time of year again. Gardens are overflowing with the green squash. How about a Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake to ease the pain of my missing fridge? This is a recipe that I have seriously been making for over 20 years. It was in a cookbook that I received as a shower gift before Hubs and I were married. I love the addition of cinnamon and cloves. Chocolate chips and walnuts on top make frosting totally optional (and I usually don't bother). The cake is dense and rich and makes use of the abundant zucchini without any refrigeration needed. If I can't have my new fridge, at least I can have Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake On My Plate.



1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup Canola oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 cups flour
4 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
2 cups zucchini, grated (I leave the skin on; peel if you feel the need.)
chocolate chips
chopped walnuts


Preheat oven to 325.
Cream butter, oil, and sugar. 
Add eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk. 
Stir in dry ingredients and beat well.
Stir in zucchini.
Pour into a 9x13 pan that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray.
Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts over the top.
Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until pick inserted in center comes out clean. (beware of melty chocolate chips on your testing pick)

REMEMBER: The recipes are now printable. Just click on the title to open the printable page. I hope to edit the archives to make all recipes printable in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails