Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Pig Fell in the Mud

...or rather it fell onto my plate. We seem to be on a pork binge, lately. This week, we have had polska kielbasa, sausage patties, and today, pork tenderloin is finding its way onto my plate. I usually try to vary the menus and alternate between beef, fish/seafood, pork, and chicken, but for some reason, the pork keeps jumping out of the freezer at me this week. I could try to find psychological meaning in this, or I can just go with the flow.


To me, "go with the flow" doesn't mean to be a sheep and passively accept what happens, it means to find the way that best suits the situtation and event. What best suits me for my pork is an easy version of Pork Parmigiana. Hubby will probably be late, but this pork holds well for even the latest dinner. Leftovers make great sandwiches, too. I can make my own sauce, defrost some homemade from the freezer, or just open a jar. The recipe is very forgiving. A crisp green salad would round out the meal perfectly and also not be a lot of work. Pork for dinner won't be a dirty chore.

Pork Parmigiana
2 pounds pork tenderloin, sliced into medallions
1 egg
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
3 - 4 cups spaghetti sauce
1 - 2 cups mozzarella cheese
1/4 - 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese
oil, to fry

With a meat mallet, pound pork into thin patties.
In a shallow dish beat egg, in another shallow dish, combine breadcrumbs and seasoning.
Dip each pork medallion into beaten egg and then into bread crumbs.
Fry over med high heat until browned- it does not need to be fully cooked.
In a 9 X 13 baking dish, spread sauce and top with the pork, sprinkle with the cheeses.
Bake covered at 350 for 1/2 hour, remove top and bake 10 more minutes.
Serve over pasta. (Serves 6.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails