Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Reaching for More Sugar

On My Plate received a sly little mention in The Post SD's SD in 5 article this week.

SD in 5 is "your 5 minute look at what is happening in South Dakota according to South Dakota bloggers, writers and news outlets." It was a fun surprise to be chosen as one of the featured bloggers.

You can steal 5 minutes away from your day and read the spin on what is happening in SD here: SD in 5

And when those 5 minutes are up, you can reach for more sugar. Butter Pecan Fudge may have been the star of my sweets and treats, but Peppermint Fudge gave it a run for its money. I made a white peppermint fudge last year, but wasn't really happy with it. Maybe my candy canes were old, but it had a kind of old-ladies'-living-room kind of smell and taste. Not cool. This year, I made a few adjustments to a recipe I found at Mele Cotte. The crispness of the peppermint flavor was beyond yummy and just what I was searching for. Perhaps this will be the palette cleanser I need to end my sugary binges. Or, maybe not...


(adapted from Mele Cotte)

18 oz white chocolate chips (I used a mix of white chocolate chips (12 ounces) and a partial bag of white almond bark candy wafers.)
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons pure peppermint extract
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 cup crushed peppermint candies (I only had the candy canes decorating my tree and made a quick dash to the convenience store for Starlite mints.)
sprinkles 

In a heatproof bowl over simmering water, melt chips, condensed milk, cream, and baking soda.  (I actually just use my heavy Le Creuset pan and keep the heat very low.)
Stir frequently; heat until smooth.
Remove from heat. 
Stir in extracts; sift in powdered sugar. (Don't skimp on sifting. Lumps in the powdered sugar are not fun.)
Add crushed candies.
Pour into a parchment or foil lined 8×8 inch pan. (I sprayed my foil with Pam.)
Top with sprinkles.
Refrigerate for 3 hours, or until set. 
Lift lining and fudge from pan to cut into 1 inch cubes. (Yields about 64 pieces)

Why couldn't this peppermint fudge be a fun Valentine's treat by topping with the heart confetti sprinkles? Make your own box of candies for gifts this year?

1 comment:

  1. Peppermint isn't my thing -- but that is a beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails