Tuesday, March 05, 2013

South Dakota Magazine Recap

It is time once again for an update of my recent submissions online at South Dakota Magazine.  I have been contributing articles and recipes to their website every couple of weeks for just over a year and have really enjoyed the process.

Some of these recipes may have already appeared On My Plate, but they are tried and true favorites that have really fit into my menus (and I hope yours).

In November, one second grader was spot on when he told me that I would be hungry later because I didn't finish my lunch. If I would have been feasting on an Open-Faced Hot Chicken Sandwich with Mushroom Gravy, nobody would have had to told me twice to clean my plate.

South Dakota Public Radio noticed another story I shared in November about holiday letters. The accompanying recipe for Green Salad with Pomegranate and Mandarin highlights the juicy bits unlike some seasonal greetings.

December brought a revival of a classic craft that while great as Christmas ornaments could be adjusted to any holiday with the proper cookie cutter shape. Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments smell so good that they shouldn't be limited to just the Christmas tree.

Garlic and Lemon Salad Dressing is my stand-by for quick salads and has helped me keep off the 10 pounds that I lost during my tonsillectomy. Tip: It is also a great marinade for chicken.

For about two seconds, I considered brewing my own beer from my Christmas tree, but instead used a really flavorful ale to make Beer Brined Pork Chops with Onions.

I gave my endorsement to silly food holidays and celebrations with Brownie Cherry Cheesecake. It really is a party in your mouth.

My most recent South Dakota Magazine submission promotes the great works of Dakota Dachshund Rescue. Our family expanded with the adoption of two more little wiener dogs, and our waist lines are expanding with Deviled Chili Cheese Dogs.

As I look ahead at recipes and ideas for future articles, I wonder what you would like to see? Have a local delicacy that you think deserves to be shared state-wide? Add your suggestions in the comments, and I will see what I can do.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Fran,

    It's fish fry season... doing you have any delicious (and family-friendly) recipes for fish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look in my archives. I don't often use recipes with fish. We batter and fry or steam/poach with seasonings. One thing we do love is fish tacos. Would those be family-friendly?

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails