Sunday, March 08, 2015

Thank You for Sunday Brunch

Dear Lord, Thank you for Sunday brunch. Amen.


Ever wake up and want cinnamon rolls RIGHT NOW? Put that tube of biscuits aside. I have another easy alternative.

Our house used to always have a tube of biscuits, crescent rolls, or pizza crust in the fridge. Then, I just quit buying them. I am not sure why. While we don't follow a totally non-processed diet, we do try to limit those foods, and I guess at some point, I unconsciously decided that the tubes of dough weren't adding anything meaningful to our meals. One day, I had a craving for cinnamon rolls and picked up a can from the dairy case. However, when baked, they seemed to have a weird chemical taste that I hadn't previously noticed. Cue the sad trombone as one of my guilty pleasure comfort foods had lost its pleasure.

But, here I am to save the day with a new easy option. I won't claim that it is any healthier than a tube of biscuits, as one ingredient is Bisquick baking mix and another is soda. But, they certainly are delicious and most definitely are so simple. Those are two characteristics that I want for Sunday Brunch. I don't want to slave in the kitchen. I want to enjoy one day with a slower pace and linger and lounge at the table with some mouthwatering food.

Dear Lord, Thank you for Sunday brunch. Amen.


1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 cups Bisquick baking mix
1/2 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (if you want a sweeter dough, I have subbed honey Greek yogurt with success)
1/2 cup lemon-lime soda (7-up or Sprite) or club soda (will not add extra sweetness to the dough)
Filling:
2-3 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup (or less) sugar
1-2 tablespoons cinnamon (depends on how cinnamony you like them)
Glaze:
1/4 - 1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream

Heat oven to 425F.
Place butter in a small baking dish (8"x8" pan; 8" or 9" cast iron pan...whatever you have) and place pan in the preheating oven to melt the butter.
Meanwhile, combine baking mix and sour cream (or yogurt) in a mixing bowl until crumbly.
Stir in soda just until dough comes together. (dough will be soft and sticky, but should be manageable...if too sticky, add a bit more baking mix; if too dry, add a bit more soda)
Use a bit of baking mix (or flour) to create a floured surface. Turn dough out onto said surface. 
Knead lightly (just a couple times) to coat dough with flour.
Lightly pat the dough out into a rectangular shape.
Brush with melted butter.
Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on dough.
Beginning on long side, roll dough toward you to form a log.
Cut the log of dough into 7 or 8 pieces.
Remove baking dish with melted butter from the oven.
Roll each cinnamon biscuit in the melted butter (first, I dip the bottom, then the top, then roll the sides in the melted butter as I put it in place in the pan). Repeat with each biscuit and arrange in the pan.
Bake for 12-15 minutes. (After 12 minutes, I usually pull the middle biscuit away a bit to see if it is done in the middle and add more time as needed).
Cool for a few minutes while whisking together powdered sugar and heavy cream for glaze. 
Drizzle glaze over baked biscuits. Serves 4-8.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails