Friday, December 03, 2010

Fridge Friday: Episode 14

I have cleared all of the Thanksgiving leftovers out of the fridge this past week. A lot of the turkey was packaged and frozen in soup-sized servings to make quick turkey noodle soup on lazy days in the future, and surprisingly, most of the rest of the leftovers were actually (and not pretend) consumed. I did have to toss some dressing, which absolutely broke my heart. Dressing is one of my favorite parts of a turkey dinner, but I guess my eyes were bigger than my stomach when I baked this year's batch.

Here's today's fridge:


For once, it is pretty bare; I will have to make a grocery run soon. There are some Pickled Habanero Sticks on the top shelf (not my fave, but Hubs is a snacker). Middle shelf has some purchased (forgive me for I have sinned) hummus and flatbread, along with my favorite Greek Yogurt and some blueberries. Almost always present in my fridge is that big box of fresh baby spinach (I find that putting a paper towel in the container wicks the excess moisture away from the delicate leaves and keeps the "ick" away.). 

I bet the takeout containers caught your eye right away. Last night, I had defrosted pork chops (yes, that is what is in the butcher paper wrapped package on the right), but about dinner time lost all enthusiasm to cook. Hubs came to the rescue by picking up Hunan Beef and Steamed Dumplings for dinner. I am lucky to have someone so willing to indulge my laziness. However, today, those pork chops *have to* be cooked, and I think that they need gravy. Pork Chops with Sour Cream Gravy is super simple, but super good. I like to top egg noodles or mashed potatoes with the extra saucy onions and gravy, but rice would be a good accompaniment, too. Dare I say that dressing might be a good side, as well. The pork chops are rubbed with sage, and sage is a major seasoning in dressing. Hmm...that is an idea. (cue: *light bulb*) Maybe I will have to whip up a small batch of dressing next time I put Pork Chops with Sour Cream Gravy On My Plate.



4 pork loin chops
1-2 teaspoons dried sage (I used sage dried from my herb garden...and it might be more "crushed" than "ground.")
1/2-1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
olive oil
2 medium onion, sliced
1 can (10.5 ounces) beef broth
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons flour
additional fresh ground black pepper, to taste 

Combine sage, salt, and pepper and rub both sides of the chops.
Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet and brown chops on each side.
Remove the chops from the pan and set aside. (Tent with foil to keep warm.)
Add the onions to the pan and saute until tender and slightly caramelized.
Return the chops to the pan and add the beef broth.
Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes (depending on thickness of chops), until chops are cooked through.
Again, remove the chops from the pan and set aside. (Again, tent with foil to keep warm.)
Combine the sour cream and the flour. (May need to add a splash of milk to mix well.)
Add sour cream mixture to the broth and onions in the pan.
Stir to combine and season with pepper, to taste.
Simmer, uncovered, 5-10 minutes.
(At this point, you could add the chops back to the pan to have "smothered" pork chops, but I like to just serve the gravy on top.) Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails