Sunday, August 23, 2009

Channeling Mr. Rogers


Even in small towns where everyone knows everyone (and probably can even report what kind of toilet paper you use), we don't often take the time we should to be good neighbors. We rush and hurry through our days and get inside our homes and hibernate. We sit inside our fenced-in yards and pull into ourselves. We forget to reach out.

When was the last time you invited a neighbor over? I honestly couldn't remember...until a few weeks ago. A neighbor was making homemade Chokecherry Jelly and was kind enough to offer to share some with me. I took the opportunity to whip up a simple snack of Spinach Puffs and also to polish my Mojito making skills. We sipped the refreshing drink and nibbled the bite-sized snacks and chatted about our families, gardening, life in general, and yes...other neighbors. :) It was a nice little break in the day, and something that I look forward to doing again. Next time, I won't wait for Chokecherry Jelly (although it is FABULOUS and I am working on getting the recipe to share) to invite a neighbor or two over on a beautiful day and share whatever is On My Plate.


Spinach Puffs

1 (8 ounce) can refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (plus 1 tablespoon for garnish)
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
fresh cracked pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Roughly chop fresh spinach and combine with Parmesan cheese.
Unroll dough into 4 long rectangles.
Firmly press diagonal perforations to seal.
Spread the spinach/parm mixture on each rectangle.
Press into the dough slightly to adhere and keep filling from spilling out when rolling.
Starting at the shortest side, roll up each rectangle, press and seal.
Cut each of the 4 rolls into 5 slices forming 20 slices.
Place cut side down on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and coarse black pepper.
Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. (20 appetizers)

It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood,
A beautiful day for a neighbor,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?

5 comments:

  1. Those spinach swirls look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Yumma Yumma...........these will be "on my plate soon".

    Sandy

    (someday I'll open a Google account so I won't have to be anony..... LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks! My kids will LOVE these as they are crazy for anything with spinach.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw these on TasteSTOPping...I think they are beautiful!

    And besides that, anything spinach = YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails